-
August 31st, 2001, 11:36 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Hello
If I'm using some music in my movies, and that music is copyrighted under someone else's name, then can I still use it, provided I'm not making a profit?
Thank you!
------------------
-
September 2nd, 2001, 10:37 AM
#2
Pryce
Guest
I am 99% sure that you can NOT. It would be impossible to prove it was non-profit. I think the rule is "Showing IN the public - then cof up the copyright", "Show to the public in, say, a club - then turn a blind eye".
If you are showing to mates/family/club members you should be ok BUT BEWARE the copyright guys have sharp teeth (and possibly rightly so)
Pryce
------------------
PS. This interpretaion of the law is for the UK only - dont know about the rest of the world.
[This message has been edited by Pryce (edited September 02, 2001).]
-
September 2nd, 2001, 11:55 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Well what about that Star Wars thing Troops? www.theforce.net/troops
They used stuff from Star Wars..
------------------
-
September 3rd, 2001, 07:03 AM
#4
Inactive Member
The thing with troops and starwars fan stuff in general is that they can use sfx/music/etc as long as it is labelled a Star Wars Fan Film and not for profit - it's kind of a "George says its ok as long as I don't miss out on cash and it makes episode 1 look good!"
cheers
paul
------------------
BAD EYE - Coming Soon www.curtin-parloe.co.uk/badeye Curtin Parloe 2001
-
September 3rd, 2001, 11:12 AM
#5
Inactive Member
So why can't I just label my thing as a Rick Astley fan thing and use his music? Providing it's non profit.
------------------
-
September 3rd, 2001, 11:49 AM
#6
Inactive Member
If you do not own the copyright you cannot
distribute new work derived from the
copyrighted material. For any reason, good,
bad, non-profitmaking.
(You avoid this for 'home' movies 'cos you
just show it to your family and there is
no real 'distribution' going on.)
But if you take someonelse's work make a new
work and put it on the internet you are
breaking the law and the owner can sue you.
------------------
andy winton
(www.wintonfilms.co.uk)
-
September 4th, 2001, 09:21 AM
#7
Inactive Member
George Lucas has decided that Fan Films are a good idea, mainly for promoting the proper films (i.e. the first 3
) and therefore given them permission, provided it doesn't take the mick. If Rick Astley gives his fans blanket permission, then go for it!
I can't wait for "Never Gonna Give You Up - The Movie"!
paul
------------------
BAD EYE - Coming Soon www.curtin-parloe.co.uk/badeye Curtin Parloe 2001
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks